Monday, April 6, 2009

Morrissey - I'm Not Sorry

Band – Morrissey
Song – I’m Not Sorry
Album – You Are The Quarry

I’ll admit it. I thought this album was going to be a joke when I heard about its upcoming release. Morrissey has gone so far beyond self-parody that when he’s going to keep releasing albums that have good songs on them, you’re going to have to dig for the good stuff while you try no to laugh at the self-deprecating lyrics. However, I was honestly impressed the first time I heard You Are The Quarry and could immediately tell that some of the songs would turn out to be classics. Also, a song like America Is Not The World had a particular poignancy when I was living in South Korea (which was when the album came out.)

I’m Not Sorry is a fantastic song, not because it avoids any of the Morrissey clichés, but because it dives in and completely embraces them. In fact, it dives in so deep that it adds a whole new depth to his music. No longer is he just the poor-little-boy that no one loves, but this same boy also has a dark past that he lived in direct reaction to his alienation. And he has no regrets.

His Myspace page streams this song and most of the album HERE.

Hear Also: America Is Not The World and I Have Forgiven Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment